The results and longevity of your tattoo will depend greatly on how you take care of your brows during the healing process and beyond. Each client’s skin will respond differently, both in the length of time it takes to heal, and the number of sessions needed for your desired results and color retention. This information acts as a guideline only, and we cannot guarantee your results.
Prior To Your Procedure
- No sauna 1 week prior
- No alcohol 24 hours prior
- No caffeine the day of
- No blood thinners
- Discontinue use of fish oil or Vitamin E one week prior
- No Botox injections 3 weeks prior to procedure
- No deep exfoliation 2 weeks prior (ex. chemical peel)
- No retinol products, acne treatments or salicylic acid 4 weeks prior.
- No antibiotics 2 months prior
*Not following these rules will result in forfeiting your appointment and deposit
DAY 1 Before Bed: Very GENTLY use a dampened cotton pad or clean paper towel to clean your brows with lukewarm water and lightly pat dry (do not use any cleansers, soaps or heavy creams). Apply a THIN layer with a clean Q-tip of the after-care cream that has been supplied to you. Do not touch your brows with your fingertips. Try not to sleep on your stomach and use a clean pillowcase.
DAY 2-4: You will experience a darkening of the brow and some tightness while the scabbing process begins. Clean your brows Morning and Night (same as day 1). Apply a THIN layer of the provided after-care cream once in the morning and once at night with clean Q-tip. Do not touch your brows throughout the day.
DAY 5-14: You may be experiencing some light flaking and itching as the skin heals, do not scratch or pick at the area. Let this skin naturally exfoliate and settle. You may experience a lightening of the color or patchiness that is totally normal. Studio Meraki requires a touch up appointment so that we can make sure you are getting the best results possible. Continue cleaning care Morning and Night, pat your brows with a cotton pad with lukewarm water and use a non- fragrance, non-alcohol moisturizer (Lubriderm or Cetaphil.)
What To Avoid During Healing Process
- Application of any brow makeup for 2 weeks.
- Scratching or removal of scabs, dry skin/flakiness.
- Direct water on the brow tattoo and the use of cleansers, soaps and heavy creams. (Wash around the areas using a cleaning cloth or oil-free makeup wipe.)
- Vaseline, Neosporin and any other petroleum based products.
- Activities that will cause sweating for 10 days.
- Swimming pools, hot tubs or other bodies of water for 14 days.
- UV exposure (including tanning booths).
- Laser light therapy, as it can darken/lighten or distort the pigment.
- Exfoliants, retinol acids, glycolic acids and Alpha Hydroxy Acids on the area for 30 days after the appointment (causes premature fading).
- Anti-acne products (e.g. Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Proactive, ect.)
- Lightening creams such as Hydroquinone
- Bleaches, tints or dyes
- Massages, facials or skin treatments.
- Threading, waxing or hair removal products
After You've Healed
- Brow tattoos normally last 1-3 years depending on lifestyle, skin type and aftercare.
- Exposure to the sun and tanning beds can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment. Once completely healed, always apply sunscreen (50 SPF or greater) on brow area.
- Avoid using chemical exfoliants on the brows, as it will cause fading.
- Do not do laser near your brow area (IPL). Some lasers may change the color of the ink.
- Additional brow makeup application may still be required post tattoo to achieve your desired look
- For 7 days following application of SAT SMP:
- Do not touch the healing pigmented area with your fingers, they may have bacteria on them and create an infection.
- Apply your favorite antibiotic ointment or Vaseline 3-5 times daily until the procedure area has healed. Always use a clean cotton swab and not your fingertips.
- No make-up, sun, soap, sauna, Jacuzzi, swimming in chlorine pools or in the recreational bodies of water, contact with animals, gardening for 7-10 days, (until area is completely healed) post procedure and after all touch-ups.
- Before bathing, gently apply a light coating of Vaseline on the procedure area using a clean cotton swab. Continue this regime until the procedure area has completely healed.
- Do not rub or traumatize the procedure area while it is healing (pigment may be removed along with crusting tissue).
- Use a “total sun block” after the procedure area has healed to prevent future fading of pigment color.
- Do not use products that contain AHA’s on the procedure area. (Example: Glycolic, Lactic Acids. Always check your product labeling) it will fade your pigment color.
- If you are a blood donor, you may not give blood for 1 year following your Permanent Make-up application (per Red Cross).
- Touch-up visits should be scheduled between 30-45 days post procedure. Permanent Make-up procedures are a three-four step process. Results are not determined until final application is completed.
- If you have any questions or concerns please notify us immediately.
- If you experience any itching, swelling, blistering or any other complications post-procedure, stop using product and call us immediately. You may be allergic to the after care product you are using!